1) Responsible owners understand the breed is in a "fad" population crisis. They understand the shelters are full of purebred pit bulls dying every day.
2) Responsible owners do not breed puppies for resale. They do NOT breed without a full waiting list. They do not advertise in newspapers or the internet to sell their puppies.
3) Responsible owners do not breed animals which have not been health tested and have correct temperament and conformation. No responsible
breeder produces more than one litter a year.
4) Responsible owners will faithfully steward the breed, leaving it in the same condition
it was handed to them. They do not change the breed
to fit fads such as larger size, overdone bodies or to fit show
ring criteria. The do not mix American Staffordshire and American pit
bull bloodlines. They understand the purpose and physical requirements
of their breed's uses.
5) Responsible owners NEVER let their dog roam. Notice I did
not say "allow" - I said "let". This means they are
careful and do not allow "accidents" to happen. They take precautions
and spend the time and money to contain their dog appropriately. They
are smarter than their dog...
do NOT tolerate unsound behavior in the breed. If their dog is unsound,
and shows unwarranted human aggression, they euthanize the dog. They
do not make excuses for their dog.
manage their dogs appropriately. They do not keep
their dogs in inappropriate situations which do not allow the dogs
sufficient exercise, nor do they put their dogs in inappropriate situations,
such as taking them to an off-lead dog park. They understand and respect
their dog's heritage. They socialize and train their dogs to be good citizens.