I'm the author of The Working Pit
Bull, The Dog Who Spoke With Gods, and co-author with Louis Colby
of Colby's Book of the American Pit Bull Terrier as well as hundreds
of articles on canine matters.
The lack of accurate and useful information on
this breed is frightening. The "new experts" are more
often than not television entertainers rather than breed stewards
with years of actual breed experience, or questionable members
of the rescue community with an eye on making "rescue"
a lucrative business. Add to that the fact that "fad breeders"
are confusing the issue by producing mixed breed monstrosities
called things like "Giants" and "Pocket Pits"
and "American Bullies" and referring to them as "pit
So, if you like PIT BULLS and want to proudly
show off your pit bull in a book dedicated to showing this breed
off to its best and truthful advantage, I certainly welcome your
help! Here is what you need to know:
- Photos must be clear, with good contrast, and of sufficient
size. You may send print or digital. Prints CANNOT be returned;
do not send originals. Digital should be about 900 pixels per
- The publication of a book takes time; it usually will be at
least two years before you will see it in print.
- EACH picture should have a sticky note attached (prints) or
text (digital) which has the following information: * Dog's
FULL name and CALL name * Dog's breed (American staff, American
pit bull, etc) * Dog's age * Owner's name * Dog's titles if
any with titles written out explaining what they are, i.e.,
"CD" Companion Dog, obedience, AKC title.
- If you can include the FULL name of your dog's sire and dam,
- If your dog is a rescue dog, please mention what organization
it came from - if you don't mind.
- Please describe what the picture shows if it is not obvious
Here is a guide to help you decide what kinds of pictures to
send. I need many, so don't worry about sending too many! Some
of the things I need pictures of are:
- Good clear side shots of standing dogs, posed show photos
- Action shots of dogs doing agility, flyball, dock diving,
lure coursing, tracking, schutzhund, ring sport, obedience,
rally, hunting hogs, frisbee, playing, weight pulling, springpole,
- With other animals such as horses, cattle, chickens, etc.
- Adorable "kids and dogs" pics!
- Adorable puppy pictures!
- Pictures of pit bulls in shelters or rescues
- Mother dogs with pups
- Pics showing the progression of age from pup to adult of same
- Dogs with fancy collars or harnesses
- Human tattoos of pit bulls
Pretty much anything you can think of!
You will need to send a signed release to me, I CANNOT use pictures
without one, so be sure and print it out and send with disc or
HERE for release.